In June, a number of Swedish game developers are going to Los Angeles for the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, commonly known as E3. It's widely considered to be the video game industry’s most important exhibition.
Per Strömbäck, a spokesperson for the Sweden Games Industry, that is organizing the E3 trip, said online games like Stardoll and Minecraft and digital channels such as Facebook and App Store are increasingly dominating the gaming industry.
"It is a profound change, and leads to new audiences, new kinds of games and new roles in the industry. Everyone is trying to figure out how to best navigate this new world," he told The Swedish Wire.
"Fortunately, Sweden has successful games in both the traditional business models and the digital channels."
He also pointed out that more and more international investors scout the Swedish gaming market.
"It's clear that there are more acquisitions from foreign operators, foreign investors and from the Swedish financial community. There are naturally also many deals being made between Swedish companies," he said.
Here Per Strömbäck ranks six exciting computer game companies in the Stockholm area:
• Stardoll - A browser game for girls and boys based around the paper doll concept that has become a worldwide phenomenon.
• King.com - The largest free games site in the world
• Mojang - Independent video game company founded by Markus "Notch" Persson. Developer of Minecraft, where players build constructions in a 3D world.
• Star breeze - The firm develops computer games on pre-financed assignments from major game publishers.
• Avalanche - Creator of internationally renowned comic book action game “Just Cause” where the player is an American agent launching a coup in a banana republic.
• Dice, EA Digital Illusions CE - The developer behind globally successful “Battlefield”, with over 50 million units sold in various formats since 2003.
This article was published in collaboration between Stockholm Business Region and The Swedish Wire.
About Stockholm Business Region
Stockholm Business Region is the official investment promotion agency for the Stockholm region. Stockholm is one of Europe’s most dynamic regions. With continual high growth, world-leading clusters within life science, cleantech and ICT, and as a center for fashion and design, Stockholm is the natural capital city of Scandinavia.
Invest Stockholm is the official investment promotion agency of Stockholm. We work with the marketing and development of the Stockholm region as a business destination under the brand Stockholm – The Capital of Scandinavia. Invest Stockholm is a subsidiary of Stockholm Business Region, owned by the city of Stockholm. www.investstockholm.com www.visitstockholm.com www.stockholmbusinessregion.com